By: Jen Wainwright
“The blue stairs, and the pictures, and the train and the hill!”
“The train in the basement, and the pictures and…lots of things!”
~ My 4-year-old twins’ responses to their favorite things at The Castle Museum in Saginaw.
We’re no strangers to Mid-Michigan Children’s Museum in Saginaw, or the Midland Center for the Arts. Tons of hands-on fun for our kids, and wonderful learning, too! But this was the Castle Museum of Saginaw County History. This was a “museum…museum”. With two four-year-olds…
I figured my kids would get bored quickly and/or cause me heart palpitations…
I was pleasantly surprised at the Castle Museum!
• Just walking into this “castle” was fun! My son pointed out a gargoyle on the outside of the building. Even the steps leading up to the entrance were fun to my four-year-olds!
• There are so many nooks and crannies, different rooms each showcasing a different kind of history of Saginaw. It was perfect for kids’ attention spans – at every turn was something new to look at!
• The basement has a model railroad with more than 1,000 feet of track, two freight yards and realistic scenery – and various platforms the kids can watch from! They also have a table where kids can sit and color pictures of trains (though mine weren’t into sitting – we brought the pictures home!)
• The grand, turquoise staircase proved to be a surprise delight! My daughter loved the color, my son loved the way it wrapped around…they asked questions about who built it, how, etc…We went up and down those stairs at least five times! (Bonus workout?!)
• Admission was $1 for adults, .50 for children. We enjoyed almost two hours of wandering, chatting, looking, exploring and talking for a mere $2!
Ultimately, I think they had the most fun outside of the Castle Museum – rolling down the hill, laughing and being kids! But, I’ve enjoyed every moment of them telling others about their “adventure to a castle”, and I’m more open to museum visits with our kids.
Check out this link on our website for a listing of museums in our area, many offering child-friendly exhibits: https://greatlakesbaymoms.com/placecategory/museums/. The address, phone and website of each are listed. Art, History, even an Antique Toy and Firehouse Museum – HERE WE COME!
Jen is a work-at-home mom, parent to three, and she’s been a stepparent for over 15 years. She is well-equipped to discuss and write about the great, and the not-so-great, details of all-things-parenting. Along with spending quality time with her family, Jen enjoys music, chocolate, camping and relaxing. And laughing!